ENGLISH FOLLOWS JAPANESE
≪第5回 全国大学生マーケティングコンテスト プラン作成概要≫
a) プレゼンテーション自体の質 b)独自性と独創性 c)実現可能性
Marketing Competition Japan 2015
Date: 12th, December, 2015
Place: Kobe City University of Foreign Studies
Main Sponsor: Kirin Company, Limited
1. You can choose Case A or Case B freely. The choice will not affect your chances of winning the competition. All of the presentations will be evaluated equally based on the same three criteria; a) presentation quality, b) originality and creativity, and c) feasibility.
2. While preparing your plan, please keep the following in mind:
- Please do not target people who live outside of Japan.
- Social media must be mentioned in your plan.
- Please keep in mind that your marketing budget is 50,000,000 Yen.
- We do not ask for a detailed explanation of how you use the budget and how you reach the ratio of 20%. Because of time constrains, we only focus on quality of ideas, creativity and presentation quality.
How to submit your plan.
Marketing Plan Summary
-You are asked to submit your plan by November 11th , 2015 via email.
-The plan has to be prepared in PowerPoint format. (ppt or pptx).
– You should submit a minimum of 5 but no more than 10 slides (Don’t forget to put your school’s name, team members’ names and the campaign slogan on the first slide)
Please attach the descriptions, sketches or samples of your advertisements and/or promotional materials along with your plan.
You are allowed include “presenters notes” in your summary.
You are allowed to include appendixes (e.g. tables, figures, etc.) in your PowerPoint document.
- Contestants should send an email with a .ppt attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 11th , 23:59pm. The body of the email should include the following: a) university name, b) team members and their email addresses, c) the rationale: a short explanation of the focus of your marketing plan and your major marketing campaign (1 paragraph maximum, no strict format).
- The subject line of the email should read: MCJ 2015 Your Name, Your University. Example: MCJ 2015 Taro Yamada, KCUFS.
- The .ppt attachment should include a) background b) target consumers c) ads and promotions d) social media activities.
Frequently Asked Questions
1: What is Marketing Competition Japan? It is an intercollegiate competition where small teams from different universities present their marketing plans in English before judges and an audience.
2: What is the purpose of this competition? This competition is designed to help college students
- improve English and critical thinking skills
- strengthen presentation and communication skills
- develop business knowledge and prepare for job hunting
- understand the importance of social media tools in business
3: How can I participate in this competition?
- Step 1: Form a group of 3 or 4 people.
- Step 2: Create a summary plan that explains how the sponsor brand can attract more customers
- Step 3: Submit your plan via email by the deadline.
4: What kind of marketing plan am I going to prepare? You can check out a sample plan here .
5: When and where is this competition held?
- 1st round: Plans are submitted online (Deadline: November, 11, 2015)
- 2nd round:The Kanto Preliminary will be held at Bunkyo Gakuin University on November 29 and The Kansai Preliminary will be held at Konan University on November 28.
- Final: The final competition will be held in KCUFS on December 12, 2015.
6: What is the procedure?
- 1st round: The competition committee will review all of the summary plans and select the top 20 plans from Western Japan (Kinki, Kyushu, etc.) and the top 20 teams from Eastern Japan (Kanto, Hokkaido, etc.).
- 2nd round: The top 40 teams (20 from Kansai and 20 from Kanto) will make their presentations before judges and an audience on November 28 and 29 respectively. The judges will announce the top 7 teams (3 teams from each region) after the preliminaries. The host team will directly participate in the final.
- 3rd Round: Seven teams that pass the preliminaries will make their final presentations on December 12 to win the grand prize.
7: What if I don’t have any previous knowledge of marketing?
Previous marketing knowledge may not be very important because participants will only answer the four basic questions listed above. Participants are also allowed to get help from their marketing teachers and or friends.
8: What if I have a bad English accent or limited English skills?
Participants are not expected to speak perfect English. English pronunciation or English fluency will not be evaluated in the competition.
9: What are the evaluation criteria?
- Presentation Quality – 50 Points (Confidence: 20 points, Passion: 10 points, Organization and Clarity: 10 points, Q&A Performance: 10 points )
- Creativity and Originality – 25 points
- Feasibility – 25 points
10: Can foreign students who are registered at Japanese universities also participate?
11: What are the deadlines I should be aware of?
- Deadline to submit summaries: November 11, 2015
- Kansai & Kanto Preliminaries: November 28 & 29, 2015
- Final: December 12, 2015
12: Who is the organizer of this competition?
Marketing Competition Japan is organized by the Marketing Competition Japan committee at Kobe City University of Foreign Studies (KCUFS).
13: Do you cover transportation and accommodation costs?
MCJ covers transportation and accommodation expenses of all the finalists and those semifinalists who live more than 30 km away from were the competition is held.
14: What are the rules I should be aware of?
- Any college student can participate in this competition. There is no test or screening.
- All team members have to be from the same university.
- All materials must be prepared and orally presented in English.
- Participants must use at least one social media tool (Twitter, Facebook, Mixi, YouTube, etc.) in their marketing plan.
- Participants need to be registered at a university at the time of the final presentation.
- The team size should be a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 4 members.
- There’s no limit on the number of teams from the same university or the same class.
- Participants cannot get paid help from outside sources such as advertising agencies, marketing consulting companies , etc.
- Participants cannot contact with the employees of the sponsoring brand.
- Participants have a right to withdraw from the competition. The organizing committee must be notified in writing immediately in the event of withdrawal.
- The host university directly qualifies for the final round.
- Any image/video that is violent, obscene or has copyrighted material will be rejected.
15: Who are the judges?
Sample Summary Plan
Sample Full Marketing Plan
Segmentation Process (WHO)
Advertising and Promotions (HOW)
Brand Health Check
Social Media Frameworks
Social Media Ideas
Sales Growth Ideas
Sales Forecast (NOT REQUIRED)
Common Marketing Plan Errors
Common Presentation Errors
Marketing Competition Japan is is organized by Marketing Competition Japan Committee at Kobe City University of Foreign Studies. The members of this committee are:
Head of the Committee: Adam Acar- Assoc. Professor at KCUFS
Senior Advisor: Kyoji Ueda-Staff member at KCUFS
Manager of Logistics: Naoki Iwasa-Staff member at KCUFS